Director of Marketing and Business Development
Gage Academy of Art is a respected non-profit organization in Seattle, which for almost 27 years, has committed itself to advancing the study of art, championing and showcasing artists, and serving as a vibrant cultural heartbeat for artists of every age, ability and economic means. Led by a hardworking board of 18 and a talented staff of 10 full-time and 10 part-time non-profit professionals, and a faculty of more than fifty outstanding artist instructors, Gage is a $2.7M organization with a record of financial stability and a lean, program-focused budget. Recently the organization has made a deep investment in its infrastructure and staff talent – this position is part of that initiative to re-invent Gage for more relevance and resonance in the community. Gage’s mission is based on the belief that artists are made, not born: we exist to bring more art and artists into the world through a rich, diverse program for all ages, abilities, backgrounds and economic means. Gage complements its studio art program, free teen workshops and 4-year Atelier programs with a year-round roster of exhibitions, artist “toolkits,” workshops, lectures, films, and a variety of special events.
Gage is seeking a seasoned Director of Marketing and Business Development to focus specifically on growing Gage’s impact and relevance within the Pacific Northwest and national cultural landscape. The position of Director of Marketing and Business Development leads strategic planning and implementation in the areas of Marketing, Public Relations, Direct Mail, Advertising and Promotions, Web Presence and Social Media. Together with the Executive Director and the Development team, these positions form the backbone of the Gage Business Development team. This person must be a team player with leadership abilities and an entrepreneurial spirit, who possesses initiative, has unparalleled attention to detail, and excels in being creative, dependable, flexible, and resourceful. The Director must have a record of marketing and sales leadership, analytics, web creation and oversight, social media, special events and producing abilities, outstanding management skills, and a demonstrated capacity to create strong external partnerships and motivate Gage students, supporters, staff, and volunteers. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential.
The Director of Marketing and Business Development provides the expertise to advance Gage Academy of Art’s mission and relevance by marketing all of its programs through audience development, revenue enhancement, partnerships, patron profiles, media relations, enrollment analysis & metrics, branding, values/vision & identity, and producing exciting visual campaigns that support the school, its programs and projects. The job includes Web management (WordPress platform and MailChimp email marketing), CRM communication, experience with Social Media management, and budgeting. The Director is a team player, someone who is passionate about the transformative impact that arts have on individuals and communities, and someone who wants to move the dial, take risks, and work with a strong, seasoned team of arts professionals to take Gage to the next level.
The person who fills this new position is an essential part of the top leadership team that is re-inventing Gage for the next 25 years. Reporting to Gage Executive Director, the Director of Marketing and Business Development drives Gage’s work by:
- Guiding Gage to achieve stronger marketing presence in the marketplace, driving enrollment and development funding alike
- Building strategic partnerships to further Gage’s mission
- Formulating and executing a cohesive, targeted marketing plan
- Tracking enrollment pathway, from first contact to class registration, and retention thereafter
- Creating appeal campaigns and other fundraising initiatives for the Development department
- Managing a team of two, Creative Director and Events and Exhibition Manager, and a team of interns who oversee graphics, social media and photography
- Recruiting and mentoring interns to assist with regular workload
- Enforcing Project Management standards and maintaining all ongoing projects through PM applications
- Advancing leadership and programmatic engagement in the community
- Participating with staff and board on the marketing team’s strategic and long term planning, goals, and benchmarks
- Oversee quarterly development and distribution of Gage catalog, both physical and online
- Adhering to Gage brand guidelines, values and voice
- Managing the Gage content creation and calendar
- Managing and updating the Gage website through WordPress and WordPress plugins
- Creating and resolving organizational and external relationship workflows
- Planning and executing regular newsletters, Executive Director communications, announcements, and targeted campaigns through email marketing platform
- Developing and producing key events in concert with Event and Exhibition Manager and stakeholders, including the Drawing Jam, open houses, public events, Best of Gage, and the annual Gala
- Lead all sales meetings
- Serving on the leadership team to advance Gage’s mission, vision, and values
This position is a 40-hour regular full-time exempt staff role. The Director of Marketing and Business Development will have the responsibilities and level of senior leadership within the organization, which are inherent in the position.
Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in related field, Masters Preferred, or equivalent professional experience
Demonstrated excellence in leading creative, effective marketing and public relations campaigns, community engagement strategies, and special events
Digital skills in web content, CRM management, and social media marketing
Excellence as a writer and oral communicator, able to convey multiple compelling messages with confidence and style
Project management skills
Interest in collaborating & mentoring with strong team of arts professionals, and able to work collegially with a wide variety of people, from trustees to volunteers, community leaders to students of all ages
Deadline and detail oriented, able to write, edit, and proof compelling messages under tight deadlines
Ability to work occasional nights or weekends to support special events, open houses, and exhibition openings
Strategic planning, thinking and analysis, knowledge of marketing tools,
strategies, and research techniques
Ability to work effectively with a range of stakeholders, particularly senior leaders, community leaders, and board of trustees
A strong design aesthetic and ability to art direct
Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills, the ability to act decisively on issues of business importance.
Ability to establish trust and rapport both internally and externally
Ability to engage people meaningfully and unselfishly in a cause
Experience with budget development and monitoring.
4 years or more experience in non-profit leadership, marketing, strategic planning, branding, external relations, public relations and community outreach
4 years writing experience or a combination of education and experience that demonstrates the required knowledge, skills, and abilities for this position.
Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, WordPress, and relational databases
2 – 3 years’ experience in Special Events Management