“I do not paint things; I paint the differences between them.”
“Expanding on the Modernist tradition, I teach the formal language of color as the primary means for building images. My teaching method engages students in the process of identifying color relationships with a vocabulary that empowers them to make meaningful, articulate decisions on the palette. Teaching, for me, is a dialog and collaboration with my students.”
– Kimberly Trowbridge
The Trowbridge Atelier is a multi-year program that focuses on developing an understanding of color and the method of color-blocking, wherein color is the primary building block for constructing images.
Students learn to analyze color relationships from observation based on value, temperature, hue, and intensity. Two sessions per week are with instruction: one from still-life and one from life model. One session per week is dedicated to individual studio time, interspersed with individual and group critiques.
The Atelier begins in mid-September and ends in mid-June.
Atelier Schedule: Tuesday, Thursday 9:30 A.M. – 4:30 P.M. and Friday 9:30 A.M. – 12:30P.M. Students will have access to a model between 9-15 hours per week.
Tuition: $ 6,950
Trowbridge Atelier students-artists have personal studio space on site and are automatically included in all free programs, exhibitions and sales opportunities at Gage’s Capitol Hill campus, as well as Georgetowns’s Art Walk and Equinox exhibitions.
The Trowbridge Atelier is located at Gage Georgetown at Equinox Studios, (6520 5th Ave S) in the historic Georgetown neighborhood in South Seattle.
Artists in the Trowbridge Atelier receive the following:
- 3-day/week, 3-quarter program (September – June) (18 hours/ week)
- 9 hours/ week of life drawing/ painting
- 6 hours/ week of independent studio/ critique/ mentoring
- Access to studio equipment at Equinox Studios, Georgetown
- Access to Equinox Studios at Gage Georgetown, between fall and winter terms
- Free access to Gage Open Studios during the terms
- Free access to Gage ArtTalks, lectures, toolkits
- Submit Your Application
- Pay your $50 application fee (non-refundable)
- Please read 2019/2020 Atelier Student Agreement
Applications accepted on a rolling basis. Apply now to secure your spot!
2019-20 Trowbridge Atelier Academic Year:
Fall: Monday, September 9 – Friday, December 6, 2019
Winter: Monday, January 6 – Friday, March 20, 2020
Spring: Monday, April 6 – Friday, June 12, 2020