Gesture Drawing and Sculpting the Figure
9:30 A.M.-4:30 P.M.
Gage Capitol Hill
- 10” Calipers. less than $10
- Notepad/sketchbook & Pencil for taking notes
- 12-18” Ruler
- 3 wooden tools of your choosing, 1 tool needs to have a flat edge. Don’t spend more then $10 per tool. Kemper tools are fine.
- 1 to 2 of the 5in Wire Mini tools
- Small mirror 3” x 2” or handheld mirror
- Needle nose pliers
Places to buy your supplies:
Clay Art Center 2636 Pioneer Way East Tacoma , WA 98404 1-800-952-8030 or 1-253-922-5342 http://www.clayartcenter.net/
Seattle Pottery Supply 206-587-0670 35 South Hanford Seattle, WA 98134 http://www.seattlepotterysupply.com/
Sculpture House, Loveland, CO http://www.sculpturehouse.com/
Complete Sculptor Inc., NY http://www.sculpt.com/
Capture the human figure in motion with award-winning and internationally recognized artist Mardie Rees. We will capture the gesture using line drawings and then by modeling the figure three-dimensionally. Focus is on gesture drawing and learning to sketch poses in clay by breaking down and re-building a new gesture during each class. By analyzing the figure both through drawing and gestural sculpture, students will come away with a unique approach to working from life and will be able to make more compelling works.