Design a Dinnerware Pattern
Win a chance for your own unique design to appear on a dinnerware set, and get a $200 cash prize, too!
Submit your design to Melange, and it may wind-up as a dinnerware pattern. If your design is selected as the winner, you will receive $200 and a set of the dinnerware with your design on it (once sets are available). Don’t miss a chance to expand your portfolio, and brag to your friends and family that you designed the plates they’re eating on!
Every year, the Melange brand develops designs in many themes, which get printed on porcelain and melamine dinnerware sets and sold in retail stores nationwide. The sets consist of a dinner plate, salad plate, bowl, and mug. Designs are printed on the plate faces, and outside rim of the bowl and mug.
Please, use this link to download abode illustrator (.ai) files for your submission.
Here is what you need to know to submit your entry:
1. Age Requirement: Melange Dinnerware Art Competition is open to artists 18 years of age or older.
2. The Work Must Be Original: All artwork must be submitted online. Your art must be your own original concept and not a copy of anyone else’s copyrighted material. (Images that infringe upon an existing copyright will be disqualified.) Upon submitting your work to this competition, you are solely responsible for any infringement on copyrighted materials.
3. Entry Fees: None
4. Repeat Entries: There is no restriction on entering art that was entered to previous competitions.
5. Copyright: The artist releases all copyrights to their artwork for dinnerware production purposes including sales and advertising.
6. Non-exclusive Permissions: By entering this art competition, you are granting us a non-exclusive perpetual license to reproduce images of your artwork on our branded Melange dinnerware and any marketing of the dinnerware online or other retail outlets. Artworks will not be used for any other purpose than that which is stated here.
7. File Sizes and Formats: Your images are best represented at 1000 px on the longest side and at a resolution of 72 dpi. Contest submissions should be in jpeg format and winner will be required to provide final print files as well as Adobe Illustrator (.ai) die line files as a drop box submission (die line files).
8. The Entry Process:
- Step 1. Make sure your design is composed on the provided dinnerware set template, as well as a flat template showcasing the plates, bowl, and mug designs.
- Step 2. Upload your design to the drop box and include your name and contact information.
9. Judging Criteria:
- Does the submitted artwork fit the theme of the competition?
- Does it have a wide market appeal; will it sell well (customer survey will judge that)
- Is the originality of the work interesting and appealing?
- Does the design lend itself to the shapes of the dinnerware?
- Visual appeal of the composition and design of the submission.
- Note: The quality of the images submitted may also affect the judging process. It is best if the images submitted are no smaller than 600 px.
10. Original Work: We reserve the right to request proof that your entry is your original artwork created solely by you. Non-compliance to this rule will be a disqualification of your entry.
11. Multiple Submission: There are no restrictions to the number of competitions an artist submits work to, nor the number of pieces they submit.
12. Submission Deadlines: Artworks may be submitted up until midnight Pacific Standard Time on Friday, December 7. No artworks will be accepted after the posted deadline.
13. Prize Payments: Cash prizes to be paid through Paypal, or by check mailed to the winner within 5 days after submission of final print files (.AI die line files).
14. Taxes: Winners shall be solely responsible for all federal, state, and local taxes.
15. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.