The Science In Art And Techniques Of The French Impressionists
Experienced and passionate Fine Art Workshop instructor with a demonstrated history of selling out workshops in the museum and art institutions industry.
Experienced instructor to 30 regular weekly and monthly private students, including participants in the Emerging Artist Program at the Collymore Atelier (a portfolio development, business development and professional launch program, with support throughout by the instructor and by a small community of like-minded Art Business Startup artists).
Art Startup business with demonstrated progressive growth and plans for a product launch in 2019.
Former physician, who integrates her background in Science into the teaching of art by sharing the Science in Art and by breaking down complex art concepts into easily assimilated and user-friendly units, in a highly supportive environment that favors joyful experimentation and rapid progress.
Connection to France: Formative years (late childhood and adolescence) spent in southern France. Yearly travel to southern France with a social life in that locale, as friendships from childhood have been maintained. A deep passion for and love of the southern French landscape, which I am inexorably drawn to depict on canvas in the French Impressionist tradition.
WHAT INDUSTRY INFLUENCERS ARE SAYING:
“In many ways Collymore carries on the legacy of French Impressionists, such as Claude Monet and Pierre-Auguste Renoir, who shared her love of southern France …” (read More: https://valeriecollymore.com/page/10988/raves) Gangelhoff, B. Senior Editor at Southwest Art magazine. “Wide Open Spaces: Meet a dozen painters exploring the artistic opportunities in the landscape”, Southwest Art Magazine, February 2015
“Looking at Collymore’s paintings, it’s easy to imagine that they’re engaged in a sort of dialogue with the works of Impressionist master Paul Cézanne …” (read more: https://valeriecollymore.com/page/10988/raves) Dubinsky, L. ” Show Preview, Seattle, WA, Valerie Collymore”, Southwest Art Magazine April 2016
“Of the many contemporary plein air artists that I know, Valerie Collymore is the most devoted proponent of true French Impressionism. Her work idealizes the theme of everyday, ordinary scenes while benefiting from such techniques and approaches as broken color, loose, choppy brushstroke and most importantly, a true and convincing effect of fluid, natural sunlight. She would be right at home next to works by Monet, Sisley and Pissarro.” Jean Stern, Executive Director, The Irvine Museum Collection at the University of California, Irvine
9:30 A.M.-4:30 P.M.
All Levels Welcome
Gage Capitol Hill
Recommended sizes to select from: 16×20 or 12×16 or 11×14 or 8×10. Same sizes or a variety of sizes, according to your preference.
OIL PAINT COLORS:
- One tube 5 oz M Graham Oil Paint TITANIUM WHITE
- One tube 5 oz M Graham Oil Paint AZO YELLOW
- One tube 5 oz M Graham Oil Paint ALIZARIN CRIMSON
- One tube 5 oz M. Graham Oil Paint ULTRAMARINE BLUE
- One tube 1.25 oz M Graham Oil Paint PHTHALOCYANINE GREEN
All these paints available on Amazon or locally at An Artful Touch art supply store in Kirkland. Option of delivery of your purchased items by the instructor on first day of the workshop. Contact the instructor for details.
- Rosemary and Co. Oil Brushes are highly recommended. You will not regret adding these top-quality master-level brushes to your painting practice. For your convenience, the recommended brushes that favor the production of brushstrokes in the French Impressionist Tradition are available as a kit: THE COLLYMORE FRENCH IMPRESSIONIST BRUSH KIT, assembled by the famous Rosemary & Co Artist Brushes:
- Online, from England: http://www.rosemaryandco.com/gift-sets/collymore-french-impressionist-brush-kit?filter_name=collymor
- In Seattle: Fountainhead Gallery in Queen Anne at 625 W McGraw St Seattle WA 98119, firstname.lastname@example.org (206) 285-4467
- On the Eastside: The Artful Touch, 12437 116th Ave NE, Kirkland WA 98034 425-823-2336 http://www.artfultouch.com. Owner Sharon Woolsey has created a discounted package for all needed supplies for the workshop, including the Collymore French Impressionist Brush Kit by Rosemary & Co and the recommended palette knives.If you place an order with Sharon by 12 noon the day before the workshop or class begins, I will pick up and deliver your order to you at the workshop on Day 1.
- One 2 or 4 oz bottle M Graham Walnut Oil Medium
- One 4 oz tube of GAMBLIN Solvent-Free Safflower gel medium
PALETTE BOX and PALETTE PAPER:
- Masterson Sta-Wet Palette Seal Box with blue top (recommended for easy transport and storage of wet paint)
- Grey Matters Paper Palette by Richeson 12” x 16” ( disposable palette surface that fits in the Masterson Box)
- Blick Palette Knife by RGM Style 22
- Blick Palette Knife by RGM Style 61. An Artful Touch art supply in Kirkland carries a suitable substitute.
- One package of baby wipes (e.g. 100 count )
- Nitrile Gloves – optional – 4-5 pairs of gloves per session.
- Brush cleaner of your choice: I like The Masters Brush Cleaner and Restorer followed by a wash with ‘Pink Soap’ liquid brush cleaner or Dawn detergent for dishes.
CONTAINERS: One container to hold the oil medium (e.g. empty tuna cans)
FOR CLEAN UPS:
REFERENCE IMAGES: Please bring 4-6 reference images or photos of what you would like to paint. I recommend selecting a subject that truly inspires you, that is meaningful to you and that you are very eager to paint! If you wish to only paint from life, please bring the still life objects that you most wish to paint. If you have an iPad or iPhone, you can bring your reference photos stored inside. Or you can bring the actual printed hardcopy photos.
French Impressionist painters—including the mathematics behind composition; the medical science of vision; the physics of paint manipulation; the neurologic implications of the Troxler effect; useful technologies and apps for art practice; topics on the psychology of art; and applied color theory. Master color mixing once and for all using the chemistry and the simple mathematical deductive reasoning behind color theory. See how this knowledge can be applied to move your artwork forward quickly and joyfully.