The Science In Art And Techniques Of The French Impressionists
Experienced and passionate Fine Art Workshop instructor with a demonstrated history of selling out workshops in the museum and art institutions industry.
Experienced instructor to 30 regular weekly and monthly private students, including participants in the Emerging Artist Program at the Collymore Atelier (a portfolio development, business development and professional launch program, with support throughout by the instructor and by a small community of like-minded Art Business Startup artists).
Art Startup business with demonstrated progressive growth and plans for a product launch in 2019.
Former physician, who integrates her background in Science into the teaching of art by sharing the Science in Art and by breaking down complex art concepts into easily assimilated and user-friendly units, in a highly supportive environment that favors joyful experimentation and rapid progress.
Connection to France: Formative years (late childhood and adolescence) spent in southern France. Yearly travel to southern France with a social life in that locale, as friendships from childhood have been maintained. A deep passion for and love of the southern French landscape, which I am inexorably drawn to depict on canvas in the French Impressionist tradition.
WHAT INDUSTRY INFLUENCERS ARE SAYING:
“In many ways Collymore carries on the legacy of French Impressionists, such as Claude Monet and Pierre-Auguste Renoir, who shared her love of southern France …” (read More: https://valeriecollymore.com/page/10988/raves) Gangelhoff, B. Senior Editor at Southwest Art magazine. “Wide Open Spaces: Meet a dozen painters exploring the artistic opportunities in the landscape”, Southwest Art Magazine, February 2015
“Looking at Collymore’s paintings, it’s easy to imagine that they’re engaged in a sort of dialogue with the works of Impressionist master Paul Cézanne …” (read more: https://valeriecollymore.com/page/10988/raves) Dubinsky, L. ” Show Preview, Seattle, WA, Valerie Collymore”, Southwest Art Magazine April 2016
“Of the many contemporary plein air artists that I know, Valerie Collymore is the most devoted proponent of true French Impressionism. Her work idealizes the theme of everyday, ordinary scenes while benefiting from such techniques and approaches as broken color, loose, choppy brushstroke and most importantly, a true and convincing effect of fluid, natural sunlight. She would be right at home next to works by Monet, Sisley and Pissarro.” Jean Stern, Executive Director, The Irvine Museum Collection at the University of California, Irvine
9:30 A.M.-4:30 P.M.
All Levels Welcome
Gage Capitol Hill
- One tube 5 oz M Graham Oil Paint TITANIUM WHITE
- One tube 5 oz M Graham Oil Paint AZO YELLOW
- One tube 5 oz M Graham Oil Paint ALIZARIN CRIMSON
- One tube 5 oz M Graham Oil Painting ULTRAMARINE BLUE
- One tube 1.25 oz M Graham Oil Paint PHTHALOCYANINE GREEN
- One 8 oz bottle M Graham Walnut Oil Medium
- One 4 oz tube of GAMBLIN Solvent-Free Safflower gel medium
PALETTE BOX and PALETTE PAPER:
- Masterson Sta-Wet Palette Seal (recommended for easy transport and storage of wet paint)
- Grey Matters Paper Palette by Richeson 12” x 16” (disposable palette surface that fits in the Masterson Box)
BRUSHES: Rosemary and Co. Oil Brushes are highly recommended. You will not regret adding these top-quality master-level brushes to your painting practice. For your convenience, the recommended brushes that favor the production of brushstrokes in the French Impressionist Tradition are available as a kit:
Online, from England: http://www.rosemaryandco.com/gift-sets/collymore-french-impressionist-brush-kit?filter_name=collymor
Locally in Seattle and on the Eastside: please see “Stores to find supplies” below.
- Blick Palette Knife by RGM Style 22
- Blick Palette Knife by RGM Style 61
CONTAINERS: one containers to hold the oil medium (e.g. empty tuna cans)
CANVASES: 2-4 stretched canvases or canvas boards of the same size or of various sizes, your choice. I would plan to start – but not necessarily finish – 1 work every two days or one work per day. Recommended sizes to select from: 16×20 or 12×16 or 11×14 or 8×10.
FOR CLEAN UPS:
- One package of baby wipes (e.g. 100 count )
- Brush cleaner of your choice: I like Jack’s Linseed Oil Brush Cleaner
- Nitrile Gloves – optional – 8-10 gloves per session
REFERENCE IMAGES: Please bring 4-6 reference images or photos of what you would like to paint.
I recommend selecting a subject that truly inspires you, that is meaningful to you and that you are very eager to paint!
If you wish to only paint from life, please bring the still life objects that you most wish to paint.
If you have an iPad or iPhone, you can bring your reference photos stored inside, or you can bring the actual printed photos.
Stores to find supplies:
- The Artful Touch, 12437 116th Ave NE, Kirkland WA 98034 425-823-2336 www.artfultouch.com. Owner Sharon Woolsey has created a discounted paint and supplies kit that is available online or by telephone, for participants of Collymore art workshops. The Collymore French Impressionist Brush Kit by Rosemary &Co is also available for purchase on the Eastside at Artful Touch. If you place an order with Sharon a few days before the workshop begins, I will pick up all orders at 12 noon on the day before the workshop starts, and bring all orders to the workshop location.
- Rosemary Brushes: rosemaryandco.com. These top quality brushes, used by many top masters worldwide, are made in England and shipped within a few days to the US. To purchase the Collymore French Impressionist Brush Kit made by Rosemary & Co LOCALLY: 1) On the Eastside at Artful Touch in Kirkland 2) in Seattle at the Fountainhead Gallery in Queen Anne at 625 W McGraw St Seattle WA 98119, email@example.com (206) 285-4467
ONLINE: please use his link: http://www.rosemaryandco.com/gift-sets/collymore-french-impressionist-brush-kit?filter_name=collymore
- Dick Blick Online at www.DickBlick.com, Dick Blick: 1600 Broadway, Seattle, WA 98122 www.dickblick.com/stores/washington/seattle/ carries the M Graham oil paints, Masterson palette, palette paper, mediums and palette knives, but this store does not carry the required brushes.
Discover how to integrate scientific knowledge with art-making fundamentals, techniques, and practices of the French Impressionist painters—including the mathematics behind composition; the medical science of vision; the physics of paint manipulation; the neurologic implications of the Troxler effect; useful technologies and apps for art practice; topics on the psychology of art; and applied color theory. Master color mixing once and for all using the chemistry and the simple mathematical deductive reasoning behind color theory. See how this knowledge can be applied to move your artwork forward quickly and joyfully.